Teachers, principals and education staff in Victoria are planning to walk off the job for the first time in 13 years on March 24 after eight months of failed enterprise bargaining negotiations, and have rejected a big pay offer from the state government.
Last week, the Fair Work Commission approved the industrial action after 98 per cent of Australian Education Union (AEU) members voted to go on strike. The union on Monday was presented with a 17 per cent pay offer which it said included an 8 per cent pay rise for teachers and 4 per cent rise for education staff to come into effect in April, followed by a 3 per cent rise each year for the following three years. But the union was dissatisfied and thus rejected the offer, as it had been pushing for a 35 per cent rise; the spokesperson even said the offer did not address excessive workloads, unpaid overtime and staff shortages across the state.
Schools will shut next Tuesday as teachers, principals and support staff walk off the job for the first time in 13 years.