US President Donald Trump abruptly announced an extension of the temporary US–Iran ceasefire just before it was set to expire, saying it will remain in place until Iran submits a unified negotiating proposal and completes talks. During this period, US forces will remain on high alert and continue enforcing a naval blockade on Iran.
The original two-week ceasefire took effect earlier this month and was due to expire at midnight Tehran time on Wednesday. Trump said the extension was made at the request of senior Pakistani military officials, and stressed that the US still holds the initiative, claiming there are serious divisions within Iran’s leadership.
Iran, however, has strongly questioned the extension. Speaker of Parliament Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf said the move may be a pretext for preparing further strikes, adding that the ongoing blockade and military pressure are effectively acts of war and warning that Tehran could respond militarily. Iranian media also said the government had not requested any extension and cast doubt on Washington’s intentions.
Meanwhile, indirect US–Iran talks continue via Pakistan. A planned US delegation led by the vice president was reportedly cancelled at short notice, and no further details on the negotiations have been released.
Trump also said the conflict has already affected Middle Eastern economies, and that Washington is considering financial support for the United Arab Emirates, including possible currency swap arrangements, to address potential liquidity pressures.