Australia’s first National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) commissioner, Paul Brereton, has admitted he had become a “distraction” to the agency following ongoing scrutiny over his personal conduct and potential conflicts of interest.
Appearing before a Senate inquiry on the 27th after announcing his early resignation, Brereton said continued public attention surrounding the controversy had affected the operation and credibility of the anti-corruption body.
Brereton still had two years remaining in his term, but his resignation will formally take effect on July 6. He told the hearing that recent controversies relating to his conduct had shifted public focus away from the work of the NACC itself, prompting his decision to step down early to avoid further disruption to the agency.
NACC Inspector Gail Furness confirmed on the same day that, in addition to an investigation launched in February into Brereton’s relationship with the Department of Defence, a second independent investigation into his conduct was initiated in April. However, she did not disclose details of the latest complaint.
Brereton denied any wrongdoing but acknowledged that ongoing concerns over how he managed conflicts of interest had continued to damage the agency’s image.
Brereton had previously been found guilty of “official misconduct” over his handling of conflicts of interest related to the Robodebt investigation. Separately, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation last year revealed that while serving as NACC commissioner, he continued providing legal advice to the Office of the Inspector-General of the Australian Defence Force regarding investigations into alleged war crimes in Afghanistan.