World News

Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran

Published

on

US President Donald Trump says he has instructed negotiators “not to rush into a deal” with Iran, after reports suggested an agreement was close.

According to US media, the deal under discussion involves a 60-day ceasefire extension, reopening the Strait of Hormuz and further negotiations over Iran’s nuclear programme. Trump said on Saturday an agreement had been “largely negotiated”, and in a social media post said “constructive” talks were proceeding but “both sides must take their time and get it right”prompting speculation an announcement could be imminent.

Iranian officials had similarly signalled progress in talks over the weekend, but foreign ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said that did not mean agreements would be reached on key issues.

 

The mooted deal has split Republicans, with some publicly arguing it is too lenient on Iran. Senator Ted Cruz said it would be “a disastrous mistake”, while Roger Wicker, who chairs the Senate Armed Services Committee, said a 60-day ceasefire would mean “everything accomplished by Operation Epic Fury would be for naught!” But Representative Mike Lawler, who sits on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said the administration has managed to “force the remnants of this regime into a negotiation, a real negotiation”.

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Blessing CALD