National News

Bondi Beach terror attack royal commission to examine antisemitism in the media

Published

on

The anti-Jewish material on social media is set to be examined when the antisemitism royal commission resumes this week.

More than 20,000 submissions have been made to the Royal Commission on Antisemitism and Social Cohesion, which mostly sat in secret last month due to national security and legal concerns. Evidence heard behind closed doors included information about the conduct of intelligence and policing agencies before the Bondi Beach terrorist attack on December 14, 2025.

As part of its terms of reference, the royal commission will examine whether existing policies are effective in preventing and responding to online hate. It will also assess the effectiveness of cooperation and information sharing between law enforcement, regulatory agencies and social media platforms in combating offensive content.

The hearings will also examine the nature of antisemitism in public media organisations, and how those organisations identify and address the issue.
A number of witnesses have criticised the coverage of the Israel-Gaza war by mainstream media outlets during the inquiry; Former editor in chief of The Age newspaper Michael Gawenda claimed some outlets, including the ABC, “minimised antisemitism” in their reporting after the start of the war in October 2023.

A spokesperson for the broadcaster said the ABC recognised “the importance of the royal commission and will continue to engage constructively”. “As a public service media organisation, SBS provides accurate, balanced and impartial coverage across a range of matters, including antisemitism and social cohesion, in accordance with the SBS Code of Practice and in fulfilment of its Charter,” the SBS spokesperson said.

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Blessing CALD