World News

Solomon Islands won’t release security pact with China because of non-disclosure clause

Published

on

Solomon Islands Prime Minister Matthew Wale has declared he will not release a high-profile security pact with China because he cannot legally break a non-disclosure clause buried in the agreement.

The new prime minister faced the press at Honiara’s airport on Wednesday after visiting both Australia and New Zealand on his first overseas trip since taking power in May. Mr Wale has also compared a new treaty which his country will negotiate with Australia to the landmark Falepili Union with Tuvalu and the stalled Nakamal Agreement with Vanuatu, vowing to press for visa-free access for Solomon Islands citizens as part of negotiations with Canberra.

But Mr Wale also indicated he might not release the text of the security pact, despite the fact he repeatedly called for it to be published while in opposition, because of legal restrictions. On Wednesday afternoon he went further, saying it was legally impossible to publish the final document because the government of Manasseh Sogavare had made binding commitments to the Chinese government when it signed the agreement in 2022.

Mr Wale also said Australia’s Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke had been “very positive” about liberalising visa rules for Solomon Islands citizens, but flagged he would push for more fundamental changes. “They will look at some initial steps to take to make it easier for Solomon islanders to go [to Australia] but we are [also] looking for a long-term understanding,” he said.

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Blessing CALD