China’s test launch of a nuclear-capable missile into the Pacific damaged its standing in the region, Pacific Minister Pat Conroy says, arguing it has strengthened the case for a regional security pact within the Pacific.
On Monday, China fired the ballistic missile from a submarine and it then flew over multiple Pacific islands and appeared to hit waters close to Tuvalu’s exclusive economic zone. China had called the launch “routine”, but Pacific leaders including Prime Minister Albanese sharply criticised the test as “provocative” and “destabilising”.
Mr Conroy said the test had damaged China’s reputation as a potential security partner, pointing to criticism from leaders in Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Palau, the Solomon Islands and Tuvalu. Asked whether the missile test had emboldened countries in the region to pursue a regional security agreement, Mr Conroy said the incident underscored the need for Pacific-led security.
Pushed on whether the defence force had the capability to protect Australia from a strike like the one launched by China last week, Mr Conroy said the government was strengthening Australia’s position through diplomacy and defence resourcing. “What we’re seeing in the region is the biggest arms race, the biggest build-up of the military since 1945 and, and that is occurring without any transparency or strategic reassurance,” he said.
Solomon Islands Prime Minister Matthew Wale had been seeking support for the idea ahead of a meeting of leaders of the Pacific Islands forum next month, pointing to the missile test as strengthening the case for a regional security pact.