US President Trump has said new talks with Iran will begin on Monday, after calling off what he said would have been “massive” strikes on the country.
In his remarks on Air Force One, Trump declined to outline a deadline for a deal to be struck with Tehran, adding: “We’ll just see how it is. We’re ready to go anytime we want… I’m not looking to kill people.”He also added that Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman – as well as US partners such as the United Arab Emirates and Qatar – had urged him against conducting strikes over the weekend.
In an earlier post on Truth Social, Trump said he had been asked by Iran and US allies in the Middle East to “hold off” on any attack as the “perimeters” of a deal had been agreed. Iran is yet to respond to Trump’s remarks. The US president has repeatedly vowed that a negotiated end to the war is near, only for tit-for-tat strikes to resume.
On Sunday, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said that negotiations with Oman on a deal on the Strait of Hormuz were “on track for finalisation”, according to Iranian media.
The US president has not yet made clear the venue for the talks on Monday, nor the potential attendees.