Connect with us

National News

Census creates opportunity to track prevalence of mental health conditions

Published

on

Experts are expecting to see a rise in the number of mental health conditions across the country in the census, which they hope will provide a fuller picture of community wellbeing.

It will give the nation’s statisticians a comparative piece of data to see the shift in population health since the 2021 census, when about one in 11 Australians reported having a long-term mental health condition, ahead of arthritis and asthma.

Professor Slade, from the University of Sydney’s Matilda Centre for Research in Mental Health and Substance Use, expected the latest census to reflect a rise in mental health reports, with recent non-census research showing these conditions remain persistent challenges in the community. He therefore said the data produced by Tuesday’s census would be valuable to researchers.

Continue Reading

National News

Former ASIO agent says Australians ‘deserve to know’ Bondi attack’s cause

Published

on

A former ASIO (Australian Security Intelligence Organisation) agent Marcus claims to have warned security agencies about the Bondi gunmen years before last December’s terror attack, and says Australians “deserve to know” what led to the shooting.

He is seeking to return to Australia to give evidence to the Bondi royal commission in person. His first visa application was rejected; however, he recently lodged a new one.

In a statement provided to the ABC, Marcus said he wants to provide whatever insights he can to understand how the shooting came to take place. The former agent spent years infiltrating Islamic extremist groups in western Sydney, working as a paid source for domestic spy agency ASIO. His cover was eventually blown, and he fell out with the organization, which has since described him as a “disgruntled and unreliable source” — characterisations Marcus rejects.

Marcus is currently living in an undisclosed location abroad, and has said he fears for his safety. He claims he warned ASIO about the Akrams years before the attack, but the agency ignored his concerns.

The royal commission and New South Wales police have both expressed an interest in speaking with Marcus, and a letter from the royal commission was provided with his first visa application. Government sources have pointed to the royal commission not formally calling Marcus as a witness; however, the ABC has seen correspondence from the royal commission expressing its interest in hearing from him. Those sources also suggested to the ABC that Marcus’ evidence could be given remotely, and still be heard securely.

Several whistleblower advocacy groups have aired their support for Marcus’s bid to return to Australia. The Australia Palestine Advocacy Network has also supported his bid to return.

Continue Reading

National News

NSW government offers fast-track scheme for data centres that comply with new guidelines

Published

on

A new government initiative incentivises data centre builders to comply with freshly set guidelines if they want to fast-track their developments.

Builders will have to meet environmental and efficiency standards, impose no net cost to consumers and fund additional supply of water and energy. They will also have to enhance local community infrastructure, invest in “future industries” and commit to skills training and support jobs. In return the state government promises to assess their applications within 75 days.

Treasurer Daniel Mookhey said the government had been working on the framework for more than a year, and under the new framework data centre builders would foot the bill for new clean energy, sparing Australian taxpayers.

Minister for Climate Change, Environment and Energy Penny Sharpe said applications would be “held to the highest possible standards in our environmental protections system”.

But there are still backlashes aimed at the subject, such as a group of students and community organisers protesting the increase of data centres around Western Sydney on Sunday. A local community organiser spoke at the protest by calling for a moratorium on new AI data centre builds, until the community is consulted and has a better understanding of the impacts of living next to these data centres.

Continue Reading

National News

Japan’s defence minister heads to Australia to meet Marles in wake of melon-gate controversy

Published

on

Japan’s defence minister will visit Canberra this week, which is the highest level engagement with Australia after controversy over Prime Minister Albanese’s comments about a gift of melons from prime minister Sanae Takaichi.

The defence minister, Shinjiro Koizumi, will meet his counterpart and deputy prime minister, Richard Marles, on Tuesday, with discussions focused on Australia’s acquisition of Japan’s Mogami-class frigates and enhanced security cooperation.

Koizumi’s visit comes after a week in which Albanese defended himself over comments made on the Bush Deep podcast, released last month. He was discussing a pair of Japanese melons presented by Takaichi during a visit to Canberra earlier this year, and, while appearing to make hand gestures in front of his chest, said “she brought two, as you do”.

Facing days of criticism from the opposition and in the media, Albanese has insisted his hand gestures and a comment about melons were misinterpreted and were not innuendo about breasts. The opposition criticised Albanese for putting at risk close relations with one of Australia’s most important partners in Asia.

Public comments from Japan’s ambassador to Australia on Wednesday suggested Takaichi’s government wanted to avoid a diplomatic incident over the comments, which were initially not controversial but soon sparked strong criticism, including by a former envoy to Australia.

Japan’s government refrained from public comments on the issue until Wednesday, when its current ambassador to Australia Kazuhiro Suzuki released a statement not raising any further issue with Albanese’s conduct.

Continue Reading

Trending