Connect with us

World News

Karoline Leavitt will step down as White House press secretary

Published

on

US President Trump announced White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt will step down at the end of August.

The 28-year-old gave birth to a daughter in May, and returned from maternity leave last month. Trump revealed her departure on social media, saying Leavitt was leaving “so she can spend more time” with her family.
Leavitt served Trump as a press aide during his first term in the White House. She ran for Congress in 2022 as the Republican nominee for New Hampshire’s first congressional district but lost the race. She joined Trump’s 2024 ​campaign ​and was transition ​spokeswoman before Trump selected ​her to ‌be White House ​press ​secretary. At 27 she was younger than Ronald Ziegler, who was 29 when he was Richard Nixon’s spokesperson.

The departure of Trump’s most prominent spokesperson comes with his approval rating at a historic low as voters express discontent over rising prices and a war in Iran that has no end in sight. Especially when she had been praising Trump and being combative at press conferences, Democrats, such as California Senator Adam Schiff, believe that “Leavitt is leaving the White House to spend a little more time … with the truth.”

Continue Reading

World News

Trump scales back joint military drills with South Korea

Published

on

US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to scale back planned joint military exercises with South Korea, saying it declined to help denuclearise Iran and citing his good relationship with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un.

The 11-day exercises, involving 18,000 South Korean soldiers, were designed to boost readiness against North Korean threats.

Trump said on social media during Sunday, local time, that the exercises slated to begin this week were costly and “send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile” to North Korea, which he said “has been unthreatening and respectful”. The president added that he recently asked South Korea’s president Lee Jae Myung to join the US in its efforts to denuclearise Iran, to which Lee declined.

The joint training comes days after North Korea resumed ballistic missile testing activities that the United Nations bans. Experts say Kim likely believes a bigger weapons arsenal would increase his chances of wresting more concessions from the US in future negotiations.

This is not the first time Trump has sought to end the exercises. During his first term, he also made a surprise announcement calling the war games “provocative.”

Continue Reading

World News

Moroccan police arrest more than 100 people as they attempt to enter Ceuta

Published

on

Moroccan police have arrested 111 people as they tried to enter Spain’s north African territory of Ceuta, amid ⁠tightened security on both sides after social media posts ​called for another mass crossing.

The attempted crossing on Saturday came two weeks after more than 72,000 migrants surged into Ceuta, causing tensions within the EU and prompting anti-immigration rhetoric among far-right parties worldwide. At least 96 people died trying to ⁠reach European soil.

Madrid has ‌since installed a maritime barrier and deployed more than 500 additional police officers from mainland Spain, raising the total in Ceuta to more than 1,600. The interior ministry said the reinforcements would remain for as long as needed. EFE and Spanish state broadcaster TVE said Morocco’s interior ministry ordered their journalists ‌to leave Fnideq immediately, without providing an explanation.

Spain’s interior minister said migrants who entered irregularly would not be allowed to stay in the territory, travel to mainland Spain, or ‌obtain legal status, except in rare cases involving extreme vulnerability. Those without a right to remain would be returned to Morocco.

Continue Reading

National News

Japan’s defence minister heads to Australia to meet Marles in wake of melon-gate controversy

Published

on

Japan’s defence minister will visit Canberra this week, which is the highest level engagement with Australia after controversy over Prime Minister Albanese’s comments about a gift of melons from prime minister Sanae Takaichi.

The defence minister, Shinjiro Koizumi, will meet his counterpart and deputy prime minister, Richard Marles, on Tuesday, with discussions focused on Australia’s acquisition of Japan’s Mogami-class frigates and enhanced security cooperation.

Koizumi’s visit comes after a week in which Albanese defended himself over comments made on the Bush Deep podcast, released last month. He was discussing a pair of Japanese melons presented by Takaichi during a visit to Canberra earlier this year, and, while appearing to make hand gestures in front of his chest, said “she brought two, as you do”.

Facing days of criticism from the opposition and in the media, Albanese has insisted his hand gestures and a comment about melons were misinterpreted and were not innuendo about breasts. The opposition criticised Albanese for putting at risk close relations with one of Australia’s most important partners in Asia.

Public comments from Japan’s ambassador to Australia on Wednesday suggested Takaichi’s government wanted to avoid a diplomatic incident over the comments, which were initially not controversial but soon sparked strong criticism, including by a former envoy to Australia.

Japan’s government refrained from public comments on the issue until Wednesday, when its current ambassador to Australia Kazuhiro Suzuki released a statement not raising any further issue with Albanese’s conduct.

Continue Reading

Trending