Connect with us

World News

U.S. Special Forces Successfully Rescue Air Force Members

Published

on

According to comprehensive reports by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) and several international media outlets on April 5, the U.S. military completed a combat search and rescue (CSAR) operation early Sunday morning. A U.S. Air Force colonel who had been missing in Iran for more than 24 hours was safely rescued and evacuated to Kuwait for medical treatment.

The incident began on April 3, when a U.S. Air Force F-15E Strike Eagle fighter-bomber was shot down over southwestern Iran. The two pilots on board immediately ejected, and the pilot was rescued by U.S. military helicopters within a few hours. However, the Air Force colonel serving as the Weapons Systems Officer (WSO) found himself stranded in the rugged terrain of the Zagros Mountains, equipped only with a handgun, an emergency locator beacon, and basic communication equipment. climbing on foot to a ridge at an altitude of approximately 7,000 feet and hiding in narrow crevices to evade search operations by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and local armed militias. At the time, the Iranian government even offered a $60,000 reward to mobilize local residents to track him down, and the situation became critically dangerous.

To buy time for the rescue, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) released false information to the public claiming that U.S. forces had already rescued the pilot on the ground, successfully diverting the Iranian military’s search efforts. Meanwhile, U.S. President Trump personally ordered the deployment of hundreds of special forces personnel and dozens of combat aircraft. Although two U.S. military transport planes were forced to be destroyed on site due to mechanical failures during the operation, and some helicopters came under small-arms fire, all U.S. personnel involved in the operation were ultimately evacuated safely. Trump also announced the success of the operation on social media with the message “WE GOT HIM!”, noting that while the colonel was seriously injured, his life was not in danger, and he also highly praised the military’s courage and ingenuity.

Continue Reading

World News

Taiwan President says government to propose record defence spending for 2027

Published

on

Taiwan’s government will propose record defence spending for 2027, President Lai Ching-te said on Monday, as the island democracy faces growing military pressure from China.

Taipei’s announcement comes as governments around the world boost defence spending in the face of intensifying conflicts, and growing concern about US commitment to the Asia-Pacific region. Beijing has been claiming Taiwan is part of its territory, and has threatened to use force to annex the island of 23 million people.

“Next year’s total defence budget — including both the annual budget and the special budget — will exceed NT$1 trillion for the first time, reaching NT$1.1225 trillion ($35.2 billion),” Lai said in a statement issued by the Presidential Office.

Taiwan has been boosting defence spending for years and acquiring smaller and more nimble weaponry, including drones, to enable its military to wage asymmetric warfare against China. Under intense US pressure to cough up more on security, Lai’s government has vowed to increase defence spending to five percent of GDP by 2030.

But Lai’s government has been at loggerheads with Taiwan’s opposition parties, which have a majority in parliament, over how much to spend on boosting the island’s defence capabilities.

Continue Reading

World News

US holds talks with Hamas and Israel in bid to salvage Gaza peace plan

Published

on

Donald Trump’s envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner has wrapped up two days of meetings with Israeli and Hamas leaders to break a stalemate over the US president’s Gaza plan, but there have been no signs of an imminent breakthrough as both sides dig in.

The US president last month announced that Hamas had agreed to lay down its arms in phases, under a 15-point road map put forward by his so-called Board of Peace to advance the president’s plan, as Israel’s military withdraws from Gaza.

Kushner met Israel Prime Minister Netanyahu in Israel a day after meeting Hamas’s political leader in Egypt in a bid to revive the plan, which has stalled as Israel has carried out air strikes and seized more territory in Gaza despite an October ceasefire, while Hamas has refused to give up its weapons.

An Israeli official indicated that there was no breakthrough in the meeting, saying Netanyahu had made it clear the military would not withdraw from a demarcation line set out in an October ceasefire and would continue to carry out operations in Gaza as it saw necessary, including targeting those who took part in the October 7, 2023, attack on Israel that triggered the war. They remarked that Netanyahu and Kushner agreed in the meeting that the reconstruction of Gaza would not begin until Hamas was fully disarmed, including of light weapons.

Continue Reading

World News

Beijing Holds Centenary Commemoration for Jiang Zemin

Published

on

China held a high-level commemoration ceremony on Monday (August 17, 2026) at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing to mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of the late former General Secretary of the Communist Party of China and President Jiang Zemin.

Current President Xi Jinping attended and delivered a speech, highly praising Jiang Zemin’s historical contributions and strategic thinking, and commending his efforts in promoting the “1992 Consensus” and driving market-oriented economic reforms. Notably, several retired CCP elders attended the event, but former General Secretary Hu Jintao was absent.

In his speech, Xi Jinping specifically mentioned the 1989 Tiananmen Square Massacre (officially referred to as the “serious political turmoil of the spring and summer of 1989”), publicly praising Jiang Zemin, then serving as the Shanghai Party Secretary, for “resolutely upholding and implementing the correct decisions of the Party Central Committee” at that critical historical moment, effectively maintaining stability in Shanghai and the country. After the Tiananmen Square Massacre, Jiang Zemin succeeded as General Secretary of the Communist Party of China and subsequently presided over large-scale market-oriented economic reforms in China, and was regarded by the outside world as a relatively pragmatic leader.

The commemorative meeting coincided with the passing of former Premier Zhu Rongji, a key figure in the economic reforms of the 1990s. In his remarks, Xi Jinping also emphasized that the entire Party must learn from Jiang Zemin’s noble character, maintain a tenacious “fighting spirit” in the current complex international situation, and resolutely safeguard national security and development interests.

Continue Reading

Trending