Connect with us

National News

Coalition accused of secretly giving big tobacco lobbyists private platform in parliament

Published

on

Anti-smoking campaigners have accused the Coalition of secretly giving tobacco giants access to a parliamentary inquiry, a move they say undermines more than 15 years of precedent to protect public health.

On Monday, representatives from tobacco company Philip Morris appeared before a Senate committee considering the illegal tobacco trade in Australia. Chaired by South Australian Liberal senator Leah Blyth, the committee also heard from anti-smoking campaigners, health groups and Australian Border Force, but Labor, the Greens and the Australian Council on Smoking and Health raised concerns that executives from cigarette manufacturers were allowed to give evidence in a closed session in Canberra.

The committee published a full program for Monday’s hearings, but did not list evidence from Philip Morris or any other “in camera” – or private – session.

Labor senator Jana Stewart and Greens senator Jordon Steele-John objected to the in-camera evidence by representatives of Philip Morris on Monday afternoon. The health minister, Mark Butler, wrote to Blyth on Friday last week, reminding the committee of Australia’s obligations under a World Health Organization agreement on tobacco control, which requires public officials to protect health policy from interference from the tobacco industry and associated interests.

Health Department guidance suggests Australian public officials, including members of parliament, should only interact with executives and lobbyists from tobacco manufacturers “when and to the extent strictly necessary” to effectively regulate smoking. Steele-John confirmed the private hearing had taken place and promised to release a transcript of the evidence, saying in a public session that “We have just taken evidence in camera from Philip Morris. I shared with them during our exchanges my opposition to their presence in this inquiry as witnesses.”

Australian Council on Smoking and Health chief executive, Laura Hunter, said she was “concerned that individuals or organizations with links to the tobacco industry have been invited to participate in this inquiry”. While she recognizes the committee may wish to hear from a range of stakeholders, the tobacco industry is not a neutral one, as it is a commercial actor whose profits depend on the continued sale of a product that kills Australians every day – and whose interests are directly affected by the outcomes of this inquiry.

Continue Reading

National News

Concerns raised over ‘privacy dilemma’ of facial recognition technology at Coles and Woolworths

Published

on

Consumer privacy advocates have responded with alarm after Coles and Woolworths confirmed they were testing facial recognition technology that they could use in their Australian supermarkets to record shoppers’ personal biometric data.

The two companies confirmed on Monday that they had tested the technology and said they were considering installing it in their Australian stores to crack down on retail crime including aggression towards staff. They also said they had not made a final decision on whether to proceed with the rollout, and neither supermarket chain would disclose which company had provided them with the software they had tested.

The supermarkets’ exploration of facial recognition software follows a decision by the administrative review tribunal in February to greenlight Bunnings’ use of the technology on its customers. After an appeal by Bunnings, the tribunal reversed a 2024 ruling by the privacy commissioner that had found the hardware giant breached the privacy of store visitors by scanning and checking their faces.

Marketing expert Dr Pallant from RMIT University said the trials posed a “security versus privacy dilemma”, when the solution is all about being transparent and educating consumers about how the procedure works. Tom Sulston, the head of policy at Digital Rights Watch, also said facial recognition was “wildly inaccurate”, and the supermarkets’ approach is rendering consumers’ experience unsafe.

Continue Reading

National News

Labor prepared to fast-track fix to negative gearing ‘widow tax’

Published

on

Treasurer Jim Chalmers says the government is prepared to fast-track a fix to the unintended “widow tax” created by its changes to negative gearing if it will win the Coalition’s support to save $37 billion in NDIS spending.

Opposition Leader Angus Taylor issued the government an ultimatum for its support on the NDIS, which is to fix the loophole unintentionally cutting off home owners from negative gearing if their partner dies or they separate due to family violence.

Property investors are still able to claim rental losses on their income tax, known as negative gearing, if the home was bought or settled before budget night. But the government’s tax changes announced in May introduced an unintended consequence for co-owners of an investment property that meant if one of them died, the partner who inherited their share of the property would lose the ability to negatively gear it, since it now counted as a new ownership for tax purposes.

The federal government has introduced draft legislation that would fix the loophole as part of a second tranche of housing tax reforms. However that bill was not expected to be dealt with this fortnight.

Continue Reading

National News

Government agrees to ad opt-out register in deal with Coalition to pass gambling reforms

Published

on

The government and opposition briefed a Labor backbench committee and the Coalition shadow ministry on about 15 amendments on Monday evening, ahead of a full caucus and partyroom meeting for final approval on Tuesday morning.

The opt-out register would be established by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA), with people able to request their various online accounts be blocked from viewing gambling advertising. The plan includes needing people to provide information such as their email address linked to the platform they are seeking to opt out of ads on.

With the shadow cabinet backing the bill, it is expected to pass. However, Liberal sources have told the ABC some in the party are considering crossing the floor because they believe the laws still will not be strong enough. In addition to TV and radio restrictions, the government’s current draft bill creates a “triple lock” system that would require social media, streaming and other online platforms to only show gambling ads to logged-in users verified as over 18.

Communications Minister Anika Wells used a speech in parliament, before the deal was finalised, to signal Labor was poised to move on so-called gambling inducements and online ads, after criticism its bill did not go far enough.

Opposition Leader Angus Taylor and the prime minister met several times to negotiate the gambling laws, which Labor is seeking to pass by the end of this week. But it is said that Prime Minister Albanese was not prepared to entertain such a large change.

Continue Reading

Trending