Connect with us

Daily News

US and Australia Condemn China’s Actions in the South China Sea

Published

on

The United States and Australia have both condemned China over what they described as “dangerous and aggressive” actions against Philippine vessels near Second Thomas Shoal (known in the Philippines as Ayungin Shoal) in the South China Sea.

The incident occurred on 20 July, leaving one Philippine Navy servicemember injured. China and the Philippines each blamed the other for the confrontation and summoned each other’s ambassadors, further escalating tensions in the disputed waters.

US State Department spokesperson Tommy Pigott said in a statement that China had repeatedly provoked the Philippines during its lawful maritime operations, undermining regional peace and stability and contradicting Beijing’s repeated commitments to resolve disputes peacefully. He said the United States condemned China’s dangerous and aggressive actions against Philippine naval personnel near Second Thomas Shoal, called on Beijing to immediately cease activities that destabilise the region, and reaffirmed Washington’s commitment to stand with its treaty ally, the Philippines. He also praised Philippine personnel for acting with professionalism and restraint during the incident.

The Chinese Embassy in the Philippines rejected the US statement, describing the accusations as “groundless.”

Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong, who is visiting the Philippines, also expressed concern over the incident. During a visit to the Philippine Coast Guard, Wong said Australia remained concerned about destabilising and dangerous activities in the South China Sea, including the recent actions of Chinese vessels against Philippine ships. She told members of the Philippine Coast Guard that Australia would stand with the Philippines, praising their professionalism, dedication, and courage, and emphasising that the two countries are not only important partners but also close friends.

Wong also announced that Australia would further expand its support for the Philippine Coast Guard. Earlier this year, Australia provided the Philippines with 35 advanced underwater and long-range drones as part of an assistance package worth nearly A$10 million, which also includes technical training for operating the equipment.

Philippine Foreign Minister Theresa Lazaro said she had raised the incident during the ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, although other ASEAN foreign ministers did not publicly comment on the matter. She said member states are currently focused on negotiations over the Code of Conduct in the South China Sea, with the aim of establishing rules that reduce the risk of territorial disputes escalating into military conflict.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian responded by saying that East Asian cooperation platforms are not the appropriate venue for discussing bilateral maritime disputes. He urged the Philippines to fulfil its responsibilities as ASEAN chair by promoting regional cooperation rather than placing its own political interests above regional peace and stability. Lin also reiterated that China’s position on the 2024 temporary arrangement between China and the Philippines regarding resupply missions to Second Thomas Shoal remains unchanged.

Continue Reading

Daily News

Victorian Liberal Candidate Counselled Over Volunteer Internship Program

Published

on

Victorian Liberal Party candidate for Glen Waverley, Jacky Sun, has been counselled by the party following questions over a “volunteer internship program” recruiting international students for political volunteering.

The issue arose at a Mandarin-speaking university student orientation event held in North Melbourne this Saturday. Bilingual posters were distributed promoting a “volunteer internship program” running from August to November. Tasks included door-knocking, letter-dropping and attending campaign fundraising events. Participants were also offered opportunities to meet politicians and obtain reference letters.

The posters did not identify any political party or candidate. However, a Liberal campaign poster featuring Jacky Sun was displayed on the other side of an A-frame sign holding the volunteer posters. One student said that after asking the recruiters, she was told the program was for “the opposition”, would mainly operate in Glen Waverley, and required participants to speak Mandarin.

A Liberal spokesperson did not directly answer whether the program was recruiting volunteers for Jacky Sun or the Liberal Party. The spokesperson said Sun was not present at the event and stressed that “this is not Liberal Party material”. The party also confirmed that Sun had been “counselled” over the matter, but did not explain the specific reason.

The issue also involves Jacky Sun’s wife, scientist Danzi Song. The email address listed on the English poster was associated with “Daisy Song Consulting”, while Danzi Song uses the English name Daisy Song on LinkedIn. However, the ABC could not independently confirm whether the email address belongs to her, and she did not respond to inquiries.

Commentary

The program was promoted as an “internship”, community service opportunity and a chance to receive a reference letter, while also offering access to politicians. However, the posters did not clearly identify which political party or candidate was involved. For international students with limited political experience or knowledge of Victorian politics, this could easily appear to be a general community volunteering opportunity, raising questions about transparency.

More notably, contact details associated with Jacky Sun’s wife appeared on the poster. While there is currently no evidence proving a direct connection between the two, the link itself raises questions about whether the recruitment program was connected to Jacky Sun’s campaign.

For a political candidate, questions surrounding political recruitment, transparency and electoral rules can affect public perception. With the Liberal Party confirming that Sun was counselled but providing no specific explanation, failing to clarify the questions surrounding the program could have a negative impact on his political image.

Continue Reading

Daily News

Colombia Earthquake Death Toll Rises to 250

Published

on

A powerful 7.4-magnitude earthquake struck western Colombia, with the official death toll rising to at least 250. Rescue workers worked through the night searching for survivors in collapsed buildings and rubble, racing against time during the critical rescue window. Authorities warned that the death toll could continue to rise as search and clearance operations continue.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs initially estimated that around 5,000 homes were damaged, with dozens of buildings collapsing and hundreds of other homes sustaining varying degrees of damage, highlighting the severe impact on infrastructure and residential areas.

Rescue operations remain focused on the worst-hit areas, where emergency workers are using heavy machinery and manually clearing rubble in an effort to find survivors who may still be trapped inside buildings. As the extent of the damage in some areas remains under assessment, the full number of casualties and the scale of property losses have yet to be determined.

The international community has also begun providing emergency assistance. The United States announced US$15.5 million in aid to provide temporary shelters and food in affected areas, as well as support damage assessment efforts. The Inter-American Development Bank said it had prepared US$50 million in funding that could be made available for post-earthquake reconstruction if needed.

The local government is currently prioritising search and rescue operations, medical care and temporary accommodation. As further assessments are carried out in affected areas, authorities will gradually determine the overall extent of the destruction caused by the earthquake.

Continue Reading

Daily News

Australian Police Trial Real-Time AI Facial Recognition

Published

on

Western Australia Police have launched Australia’s first public-facing trial of real-time AI facial recognition, using cameras in Perth and Fremantle to scan pedestrians’ faces in real time and compare them against police watchlists, raising concerns over privacy and the expansion of surveillance powers.

Police began using technology company NEC’s NeoFace m40 system in June. In its first week, the system scanned more than 130,000 faces and compared them against a watchlist of around 4,000 people. The list includes people suspected of serious crimes, missing persons, and individuals police believe may pose a risk to themselves or others.

Police said the trial had delivered encouraging initial results, triggering 33 alerts and contributing to 18 arrests. Authorities said real-time facial recognition could help officers identify people of interest more quickly, improving public safety and law enforcement efficiency.

However, privacy experts and legal advocacy groups have questioned how police decide who is placed on the watchlist, how the data is stored, and the risk of misidentification, arguing that there is insufficient transparency. The choice of trial locations has also attracted scrutiny, with concerns that the technology could result in disproportionate surveillance of Indigenous communities.

Unlike “one-to-one” facial recognition, which is used simply to verify an individual’s identity, real-time “one-to-many” systems can scan and compare faces on a large scale in public places.

Continue Reading

Trending