Connect with us

World News

Prince Harry, Meghan and family to move back to UK

Published

on

Harry and Meghan Markle, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are planning to move back to the UK this month, as reported by ABC.

They intend to relocate from the US to a private, non-royal residence outside London. The couple’s children, Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five, are also expected to start at a British school in September.

British media first reported the news, but spokespeople for ⁠Harry and Meghan had no immediate ‌comment. However, a source close to the couple confirmed the report’s accuracy. King Charles was told of the move on Sunday, local time, and it is understood he welcomed the move.

Earlier in July, the family met with King Charles in what was widely seen as a thawing of frosty relations. But even the run-up to the July trip was rocked by setbacks, with media outlets quoting sources close to Harry as saying the prince would be staying at Buckingham Palace in London — only for the palace to deny it.

The palace also said Harry had not accepted the invitation to stay at the official residence of the British sovereign sufficiently far in advance. It has been six years since Harry and Meghan stepped down from their royal duties, and there are no public plans for either to resume those roles.

Harry has long blamed the media for the death of his mother, Princess Diana, who was killed in a Paris car crash in 1997 while trying to shake off the paparazzi. While Harry and the king’s relationship may have improved, he is still barely on speaking terms with his older brother, Prince William.

Continue Reading

World News

Owner arrested over fatal Yuen Long dog attacks and dog planned to be put down

Published

on

The owner of a large dog suspected of mauling two smaller dogs to death in Yuen Long has been arrested.

The Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) in Hong Kong said in a statement on Tuesday night that it had arrested the owner of the dog earlier that day and collected a statement regarding the case.

The recent incident happened on Monday, when an unaccompanied Tibetan Mastiff bit a Bichon Frisé and did not let go. It occurred at the pet-friendly Dot Park outside Yoho Mall in Yuen Long, according to an online video. Around 20 minutes before the Bichon Frisé was attacked, a poodle was also allegedly attacked by the same canine at a public transit hub near the mall, police told local media.

On Wednesday, Jackie Yip, an assistant director of the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) said the authorities were discussing with the owner as to whether to keep the dog or place it in the care of the government.

The AFCD added that the dog was previously detained by the department in July due to another dog attack case, but the animal was then returned to its owner, who was warned to keep it on a leash no longer than two metres in public places.

If a dog is declared a “known dangerous dog” in Hong Kong, it must be desexed, muzzled and leashed in public and wear a specific, government-approved collar. A magistrate can also rule that a dog that is a public hazard be destroyed humanely.

Tibetan Mastiffs are a highly territorial breed and may attack other dogs. It is understood that the dog owner regretted signing the abandonment agreement, saying that he did not understand that “disposal” meant humane euthanasia. He also said that “Larry” was docile and affectionate, and hoped that the abandonment could be cancelled to save his precious life.

Continue Reading

National News

Australia condemns ‘insulting’ decision to clear IDF over Gaza strikes that killed Australian aid worker

Published

on

Foreign affairs minister Penny Wong has expressed “outrage” and will call in the Israeli ambassador over the Israel Defense Forces decision overnight not to open a criminal investigation into Gaza strikes that killed Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom.

In a statement released on Thursday, Penny Wong called the timing of the decision, on World Humanitarian Day, “especially insulting”.

The April 2024 strike hit a convoy of World Central Kitchen vehicles, killing seven humanitarian workers from the US-based aid group, which has distributed food in Gaza throughout the war. The IDF said on Wednesday it had mistaken several individuals in the vehicles for armed Hamas military operatives, and that the convoy deviated from the previously coordinated route. It concluded that “the decisions of the commanders did not raise reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct”. Two officers were removed from their positions at the time and three others reprimanded.

One of those killed in the strike was Frankcom, an Australian aid worker. The Australian government has previously called the deaths a “tragedy and an outrage” and pressed for full accountability and “any appropriate criminal charges”. In February the Australian prime minister Albanese said he had made it clear to Israel and its president, Isaac Herzog, that Australia expected transparency about Israel’s then-ongoing investigation into the incident.

Many human rights experts and MPs have also demanded the Australian government to put sanctions against the state of Israel and stop sending weapons parts to Israel.

Continue Reading

Daily News

UAE Fully Suspends Trade and Financial Ties with Iran

Published

on

The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced on Tuesday that, in response to the continued escalation of the regional situation, it would suspend all trade, commercial and financial transactions with Iran from that day until further notice. The authorities said that despite taking these measures, the UAE still hopes to promote peace and stability in the Middle East through dialogue and cooperation.

The UAE has long been an important trade and financial gateway for Iran, with Dubai in particular serving as a major centre for Iranian imports, re-export trade and financial settlements. According to World Trade Organization data, Iran imported approximately US$21 billion worth of goods from the UAE in 2024, accounting for 30.6% of its total imports that year.

Therefore, if the ban continues, Iran’s import supply chains, foreign exchange settlements and corporate financing could all be affected, and it may also need to turn to other countries or informal channels for procurement, further increasing import costs and inflationary pressure.

The decision also comes as security tensions between the two countries escalate. The UAE previously accused Iran of attacking several vessels linked to the UAE’s national oil company, ADNOC, in the Strait of Hormuz. The UAE Ministry of Defence said on Tuesday that its air defence systems detected two ballistic missiles launched by Iran, one of which fell outside UAE territorial waters while the other entered its territorial waters.

Commentary:

The UAE’s full suspension of trade and financial ties with Iran is ostensibly a response to security threats, but the decision could also further worsen the regional situation.

More than 30% of Iran’s imports come from the UAE, while Dubai is also an important re-export and financial centre for Iran. If transactions are disrupted for a prolonged period, Iran will face not only diplomatic pressure, but simultaneous disruptions to its imports, financing and foreign exchange channels. This could ultimately push up the prices of goods, passing the costs of geopolitical tensions on to ordinary people.

Of course, governments need to protect national interests in the face of security threats. But if the measures ultimately make the regional economy even more unstable and raise the cost of living for ordinary people, the true cost of this geopolitical contest could be far more profound than the diplomatic conflict itself.

Continue Reading

Trending